Employee handbooks, which are also referred to as employee manuals or company policy manuals, are given to employees by an employer. Employee handbooks are critical for employers of every size. Employee handbooks:
- Introduce employees to the culture, mission, and values of a company
- Communicate to employees what is expected of them
- Ensure key policies and practices are properly communicated to employees
- Provide consistency within the company
- Ensure compliance with federal and state laws
- Serve as a useful tool during litigation
Courts in Florida have held that in the absence of language within an employment handbook or manual which expressly provides that the employee handbook or manual constitutes an employment agreement, or the parties’ explicit mutual agreement to that effect, statements and policies in employment handbooks or manuals do not create a binding, enforceable contract in Florida. Quaker Oats Co. v. Jewell, 818 So. 2d 574 (Fla. 5th DCA 2002).
The lawyers at BT Law Group have extensive experience creating employee handbooks and also reviewing and updating employee handbooks in order to ensure compliance with applicable laws. Please contact the attorneys at BT Law Group for a consultation.