Jason D. Berkowitz is a Founding Partner of BT Law Group, PLLC. Prior to starting BT Law, Mr. Berkowitz was a Partner in the Miami office of a national labor and employment law firm where he represented management exclusively.
Primary Focus & Experience
Mr. Berkowitz has successfully represented private and public sector clients in federal and state courts as well as administrative tribunals in numerous types of labor and employment matters, including claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, wage and hour disputes, breach of contract, restrictive covenants, and Florida state tort and common law issues.
Also, Mr. Berkowitz regularly advises clients on issues relating to the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and various other federal, state, and local employment laws. He also develops employment policies and employee handbooks, as well as, provides trainings on topics to ensure compliance with the law, to avoid employment disputes, and to promote a compliant work environment.
While attending law school, Mr. Berkowitz interned for United States Magistrate Judge Stephen T. Brown of the Southern District of Florida. He was the Student Writing Editor of the University of Miami Inter-American Law Review. Prior to entering law school, Mr. Berkowitz worked for over two years as a paralegal at the law firm Covington & Burling, LLP in Washington D.C.
Recent Significant Accomplishments
- Dismissal with prejudice (2019): Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of claims brought under Florida’s Private Whistleblower Act in federal court – Jeanette Hathaway v. Ramco-Gershenson, Inc., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, Case No. 18-cv-61359-WPD.
- Federal court jury verdict (2018): Obtained a defense verdict on claims of discrimination, retaliation, and interference under the Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Florida Civil Rights Act – Herbert Baussiquot v. Akal Security, Inc., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, Case No. 17-22446-Civ-Altonaga/Goodman.
- Dismissal with prejudice (2014): Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of claims brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and for defamation and conversion in federal court – Wimbley v. Doyon Sec. Servs., LLC, Case No. 14-CIV-20935-BLOOM/Valle.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (affirming grant of summary judgment) (2013) – Obtained a favorable opinion from the U.S. Court of Appeals affirming the grant of summary judgment on claims of sexual harassment under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 – White v. Creative Hairdressers Inc., Case No. 11-16121.
- Florida’s Fourth District Court of Appeal (affirming dismissal of administrative appeal) (2011) – Obtained a favorable opinion from the Fourth District Court of Appeal affirming an administrative law judge’s dismissal of the claims after completing an administrative trial in a matter pending before the Florida Commission on Human Relations – Davidowitz v. Miller’s Ale House, Inc., Case No. 4D11-178.
Recognition & Accomplishments.
- Appointed to the Florida Bar’s Eleventh Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee.
- Selected to the 2021 Edition of Southern Florida’s Best Lawyers
- Selected to the 2020 Edition of the Best Lawyers in America for “Litigation – Labor and Employment.”
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers from 2014-2021.
- Selected South Florida Legal Guide Top Up and Comers: 2018-2019.
University of Miami School of Law
J.D., 2008, cum laude
Dean’s List multiple semesters
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
BAR & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
- Dade County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management, Member and former Director of Legislative Affairs
- Society for Human Resource Management, Member
- “The Price of Unpaid Internships,” Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management (Summer 2013) [Author].
- “Beneath the Veil of Mormonism: Uncovering the Truth About Polygamy in the United States and Canada,” University of Miami Inter American Law Review 38.3 (Spring 2007) [Author].
RECENT SPEECHES AND PRESENTATIONS
- “LGBTQ: Managing an Evolving Workforce” presentation to the Human Resource Association of Broward County (May 10, 2017).
- “Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity in the Workplace: Inclusion and Compliance” presentation at Jackson Lewis’ 6th Annual Surveying the Workplace Law Landscape (February 9, 2017).
- “Internal Investigations: Best Practices Versus Pitfalls” presentation to the Human Resource Association of Broward County (May 6, 2016).
- “Onboarding: Best Practices for Employers” presentation at Jackson Lewis’ 5th Annual Surveying the Workplace Law Landscape (March 2, 2016).
- General employment law update for the Destination Marketing Association International’s 2014 Finance Operations & Technology Summit (October 20, 2014).
- General employment law update for the Council of Engineering and Scientific Society Executives Finance and Human Resources Section, 2014 Fall Meeting (October 3, 2014).
- “Social Media and Bullying in the Workplace,” Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management Legal Update (September 13, 2012).
- “The Never-Ending Explosion of Overtime Claims,” Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management Legal Update (September 12, 2011).